20 Kasım 2012 Salı

Go Argos Go!

To contact us Click HERE


Tobin Rote leads the Argos. He won AFL, NFL & CFL championships, only player ever to do that.

Seeing the Argos back in the Grey Cup is great. It brings back very fond memories. As a son-of-a-Beacher I was a big CFL/Argos fan during my tween-teen years. I went to lot’s of Argo games as a youngster, probably using allowance money. My parents let me travel the city by myself and I remember going to see baseball at the Maple Leaf Stadium and football at the CNE. I would get my tickets by going to the ticket office on York Street (can’t remember the name of the seedy hotel up from the Royal York) and buy my $2.00 end-zone ticket in the north grandstand. If you got a seat at least 25 rows up you would be sheltered from the rain/snow.

I remember one memorable time when I took may parents to see a Saturday night game against Saskatchewan and the great Ron Lancaster. It was probably my birthday present to them as all of us have October birthdays. I don’t know how many times I saw those Russ Jackson led Ottawa Roughriders come to town and beat the Argos. I think this is why I dislike the Ottawa Sens these days.

For a period of about 3 years I must have gone to every game and watched as much as possible on TV. I remember taking my sister to a two-game total point play-off game and sat in the open south stands (pre-Blue Jays) and remember hearing the liquor bottles falling through the open stands and breaking below. The Argos would win the first game handily and then go to the other team’s home field and get slaughtered and not get into the Grey Cup.
Argo great Dick Shatto

I’ve never been to the Grey Cup and the closest thing to getting involved was going down to the Royal York on the Saturday before the big game in Toronto. All the good furniture was moved into storage and the massive lobby became a massive party. Private hospitality suites abounded on the mezzanine floors and a good time was had by all. All the hotels will be busy this weekend.

I know a couple of Huntsville residents that have been to multiple Grey Cups and have their tickets for this weekend in-hand.

Any Grey Cup stories out there worth sharing?
Cookie used his CFL Career to launch huge NFL success and was the only player ever to turn down a CFL Hall of Fame nomination
 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder