19 Kasım 2012 Pazartesi

Donation Time

To contact us Click HERE



Now, where will you be making your Christmas donation?
I’m not going to make any friends with this posting but we do try to cover community issues that the main stream offshore media will not touch with a 10 foot pole.

First a little background. As far back as 2000 I wrote to Messers Eaves, Flaherty and Miller about the need to allow for enhanced tax treatment of targeted donations within Ontario. Then, as is now, healthcare, education and municipal infrastructure are huge drains on the Provincial accounts. The idea was to give these donations (within Ontario) the same beneficial tax treatment that the politicians have arranged for donations to their own political parties. Every dollar donated to local schools, hospitals and libraries is a dollar that doesn’t have to be raised through taxes.
We are coming up to that time of the year when people make donations to some of the more seasonal charity drives like the Salvation Army and the local Food Banks.
Also at this time of year both the hospital and hospice foundations have seasonal drives. I give monthly to both of these fine organizations and touch wood, I have been able to remain a visitor and not a patient.
This posting today is to bring to your attention what I see as a shift in giving from the hospital to hospice. Did you know that the average length of end of life care at hospice is under 10 days and yet more and more I am seeing ‘in lieu of flowers donations to Hospice would be appreciated’. What about the months and possibly years of care you receive from the medical staff at the hospital. If I have to go to another hospital for treatment how will my records be transferred if the digital records system is incomplete. I think the pendulum has swung over a bit too far.
Could the swing have developed as a result of the doctors being perceived as pampered primo donnas with their waterfront mansions? Possibly.
I’m not going to choose sides here, I just want you to think about trying to balance the current situation and I also urge you to ‘shop local’ when it comes to your donations. If you are the type that gives to wildlife funds such as CWF & WWF I would suggest that a donation to the Friends of Algonquin would help our local community.

We need to pay for a cat scan machine!
Critical equipment and technology required in our community to maximize the quality of life on this planet are not being acquired locally as donations are being directed elsewhere.
I am looking for some ‘content’ for December and will be more than pleased to accept local charity stories that I can post up in December. Send me a bit of your ‘outreach’ information and we’ll see if we can help out with these seasonal campaigns. Also, how about telling us about your family traditions, a turkey disaster, a great surprise, whatever.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder